BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

4/21/2009

My Story - Part One

Every time I tell someone I'm writing a book, there are two things they almost always ask: 1. What kind of book is it? and 2. How did I come up with the idea?

It took me a long time to tell anyone I was writing a book. Mainly because I wasn't sure if I could actually finish it. Only once have I ever tried to write something other than a term paper. I was in fifth grade. I think I got three sentences down before giving it up and deciding I'm a reader not a writer.

The other reason it took me so long to admit to writing is that I'm writing paranormal/urban fantasy. Although my family is an awesome family, I grew up in the middle of the Bible Belt. Smack dab in the buckle of it. I just wasn't sure how my family would react to the fact that I'm writing about witches, vampyres and magical beings of all natures. So far, they've all been extremely supportive. :) And I have to admit, it's nice to share the journey with them.

I hesitate to tell you how I came up with my idea. Only because it's so similar to how others have come up with their story.

A dream. I had an extremely vivid dream.

I know, I know, it's so overdone...the whole I had a dream and wrote a book about it. *shrugs* But, I can't change where the idea came from. And in all honesty, the dream started it, but the story as evolved and changed so much that it bares very little resemblance to the dream I had.

Usually my dreams are half gone when I wake up and by the time I'm walking out the door they're so fuzzy, I'm not even sure what they were about to begin with. This dream though, it just stayed with me. I found myself wondering what would happen next and where it all started. When I told my hubby he immediately said write a book. Right. Sure. I'll do that. No, really. The idea of me writing a book was just so laughable. I had no idea how to even start writing a book.

Two day later I found myself sitting in front of the computer, staring at a blank Word document absolutely certain I'd gone mental to even attempt writing a book. I sat there with my hands resting on the key board for a good twenty minutes, trying to figure out where to start my story. I tried on and off for a few days before I realized I was trying to start with the wrong story. And just like that a light bulb went on and I knew where to start.

My story started off being a trilogy with my dream being the last book. As I got to know my characters better, they seemed to take over the story and lead it in a direction I hadn't foreseen. Pesky, head strong characters.

I've since given up trying to outline ahead of time. My characters lead the way and I just try to keep up.

0 comments: